So I’ve started to think that it might be in Monster’s (and eventually Monkey’s) best interest if I start looking for a new school for him. I have had several complaints about the school he’s currently in, but never before this week have I felt like I was letting him down by keeping him there (details to come in this week’s weekly review, will update with a link). At the moment, I don’t know what an “ideal” school for him even looks like, nor do I really know how to find out. Monster has ADHD, but also potentially (probably?) a learning disability in reading and/or writing. He can read a story at or around grade level, but has a lot of difficulty following written instructions, and a lot of difficulty writing in general. Because he’s in French Immersion, however, they can’t/won’t diagnose him with a learning disability, or at least not at his age.
So that brings me to my big questions at the moment:
- How can I get a more thorough assessment of Monster’s difficulties?
- What would the “ideal” school for Monster and Monkey look like?
- Am I doing him a disservice by insisting on keeping him in French Immersion, or will this actually help him?
- Are there any schools in the city that would be better for him? The province? The country?
- Is it worth the legal battle that would undoubtedly ensue to move him, if there is a better opportunity for him elsewhere?
- Are there any support tools available that would help him out? How can I convince my ex-wife to use them for him as well?